A couple weeks ago, we developed a recipe for a Paleo and Keto friendly chocolate chip cookie. The goal for that recipe was simple- make something that looks, tastes and smells like the real thing, while only using healthy, real, whole food ingredients. That ended up being the most popular recipe we've created to date, so for this recipe we wanted to do something similar-- but take it up about 10 notches. So we decided to make a Paleo and Keto friendly protein ice cream sandwich, with our chocolate chip cookies as the buns.
It just all made too much sense. To us, the two best deserts out there are a good, gooey homemade chocolate chip cookie, and ice cream. So why not combine the two, and make the ultimate satisfying desert?
The recipe ended up tasting AMAZING, and was actually really simple and easy to make. As you know, we are real sticklers when it comes to ingredients, and these ice cream sandwiches are dairy free, high in protein, low carb, and only include Paleo approved ingredients. Hope you enjoy it!
Ingredients for Protein Ice Cream:
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- ½ Scoop Rootz Protein-Superfood
- ¼ Cup Almond Butter
- ¼ Cup Honey
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ Cup Coconut Oil (room temp)
- ¼ Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 Egg (room temp)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1.5 Cups Almond Flour
- 1 scoop Rootz Protein-Superfood
- 1 cup Chopped Dark Chocolate
- Salt on Top
Instructions for Ice Cream:
- Mix all ingredients in a blender for a few minutes until it is fully mixed.
- Freeze in a freezer safe container for a 2-3 hours and then scoop to make Ice Cream sandwiches.
Instructions for Cookies:
- Mix coconut oil with coconut sugar then add the egg and vanilla extract and mix again.
- Add the almond flour, Rootz protein powder, salt, baking soda to the wet ingredients and mix WELL. Then fold in the chocolate— then cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and at most 24 hours.
- After the cookies have been refrigerated- preheat oven 350 and scoop cookies on to baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Instructions to Make the Sandwich:
- Put one cookie flat side up on a plate, scoop out ice cream into the center, then put the second cookie flat side down and press the two cookies together